[ltp] Cisco mini-pci wifi card & airo-linux driver

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 4 Jul 2003 16:33:20 +0200

Hello,

There is a driver for the Cisco mini-pci wireless card, located at
http://airo-linux.sourceforge.net/ and maintained by Benjamin Reed
(file kernel/airo_mpi.c in the CVS repository).

This driver is an alternate solution to the cisco one, that supports
wireless extensions. Some advantages of wireless extensions, are
that all the parameters of the connection can be configured with the
usual iwconfig command line, without requiring the Cisco user-unfriendly
binary-only GUI, a better integration with the startup scripts provided
by linux distributions vendors, ...

This driver (for the mini-pci cards) stayed dormant since a few monthes
without development activity, in a state where it was not usable (rx was
working, but tx was not). I helped to debug it, and the current version
from the CVS repository basically now works for me and for Benjamin too.
I can associate to the access point, setup WEP parameters, transmit and
receive packets. So the basic features are here. Other ones remain
untested currently. Fell free to give it a try, and to report your
experiments/bugs on the sourceforge project page. This'll certainly
motivate the developers lying around to continue and improve the support
for these cards.

Best wishes,
--
fabrice