[ltp] can IBM sell ThinkPad with no OS on?

Pam Huntley linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 18:28:08 -0400

Actually I also just found out we have ship support for Linux bundles as
well.  Supposedly there is a bundle with Turbo Linux available in China,
and a bundle with Red Hat available in India.  I'm waiting for the
marketing people to give me the model numbers, or I would have included
them here.   I wasn't sure if we had announced those yet, but apparently we
have.

Just FYI.

Pam

As far as I know, currently the only way to purchase a ThinkPad computer
with no OS on it (in the US) is if you make a bulk order through a sales
representative.    Typically we have only large customers who do this.
It's really a "DOS" skew, and you get a DOS (I think IBM PC DOS)
entitlement certificate to go with it, and you can download and install DOS
if you like.   I think most companies get it because they already have
licensed software, or because they want to run Linux (or any other OS
besides Windows).   In the US you can't just buy it off the website, you
actually have to talk to a sales person, and it's reserved for bulk
purchases.

In other geographies, the DOS skew is more widely available, for instance
in China you can get it from the website:
http://www-8.ibm.com/products/cn/Brand.wss?series=pc_s&nextpage=seriesmodels

Of course the only thing I can read on that page is "IBM PC DOS"  :-)

Looks like it's also available in Italy:
http://www5.pc.ibm.com/it/products.nsf/Current+Products?OpenAgent&brand=THINKCENTRE&series=THINKCENTRE+M+SERIES

So maybe that will help you if you live in china  :-)

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           "zongliang li"              |
|         |           <lizl@ict.ac.cn>            |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin@linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           06/11/2003 10:34 AM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->

>-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       "linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org"
<linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org>

  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  [ltp] can IBM sell ThinkPad with no OS on?

I think some of us will never use windows, but we have pay MicroSoft for it
when we buy ThinkPad.
$B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Bzongliang li
$B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(Blizl@ict.ac.cn