[ltp] R40 APM Standby and Power-Off not working

Frederic Gaus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 10:19:46 +0200

On Fri, Jun 06, 2003 at 09:53:58PM +0200, Georg Sauthoff wrote:
> From: Georg Sauthoff <g_sauthoff@web.de>
> To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
> Subject: [ltp] R40 APM Standby and Power-Off not working
> Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 21:53:58 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
> Another thing is, that the power-off does not work. After shutting down all
> processes, unmounting and so on, the screen goes black, but the notebook is
> still running (looks like standby).
>
> Perhaps someone has an idea?
>
> I am using vanilla 2.4.21-rc5 kernel and have apm support build in, like this:
> [ ]     Ignore USER SUSPEND
> [ ]     Enable PM at boot time
> [*]     Make CPU Idle calls when idle
> [*]     Enable console blanking using APM
> [*]     RTC stores time in GMT
> [*]     Allow interrupts during APM BIOS calls
> [*]     Use real mode APM BIOS call to power off

Hi!

I don't know if you have allready fixed your problem. But I had the same
problem on my R40 and disabling the following option in "Processor type
and futures" fixed it.

 [ ] Local APIC support on uniprocessors

(in .config it is CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC). In the help they
suggest you to use it on every machine, even if your machine don't
support it because it would run with no slowdown at all. But never the
less, some thinkpads theme that they dont power off with this option
enabled.

Thank to Martin H who helped me to find the reason.

Freddy