[ltp] T40p graphics + heat buildup

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 15 Jun 2003 22:44:49 -0400

On Sun, Jun 15, 2003 at 07:21:31PM -0700, Valient Gough wrote:

> I have a T40p (model 2373-G1U), running SuSE 8.2.  I am seeing a problem
> that appears to be due to heat buildup.  When it is warm outside, say
> high 70's or low 80's (I have no air conditioning), then I start to see
> display problems, which get worse the more demand is put on the graphics
> card.  The whole screen begins to jump around as if it is loosing sync.
> It stops immediatly if I reduce the graphics workload, and it goes away
> when it is cooler (such as when the laptop is first started, or in
> cooler ambient temperatures).

I haven't noticed it myself, although I tend to get cranky and touchy
myself when it gets into the low 80's, so I haven't necessarily
operated the laptop in the conditions such as your (I *do* have air
conditioning :-).

The only thing I have noticed is random lockups from time to time
where the X server locks up and needs to be restarted.  But that's
probably an XFree86 4.3 bug....

						- Ted