[ltp] Linux thinkpad - the Missing pieces

Harry Mangalam linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:30:03 -0700

Hi All,

This is somewhat off-topic, but it does deal with furthering the adoption of
Linux on Laptops.

I'm writing a piece about transitioning from Windows to Linux (server vs
desktop, is it possible to do in the 1st place given your IT requirements, the
financials of it, other pro's and cons, whether your IT and user communities
have the personalities and requirements for it, etc).

What I'd like to query you about is whether, as Linux laptop users, are there
some pieces of software that are preventing you from going to Linux completely?

Obviously, if you're reading this, a Linux Lappie has become or is becoming a
useful piece of your computing environment, but some of you may be doing this on
a personal machine as opposed to a business machine.

If so, what are the key pieces of software that keep you tied to a Windows
environment and how are you addressing it - vmware, crossover office, win4lin,
dual boot, separate windows machine?

If you want to expand on it to the desktop situation, that would be welcome as
well, but I'm very much interested in the laptop issue.

Answers should probably be sent to me direct as it's somewhat offtopic, unless
you want this cast to the list as well.

Thanks!

--
Cheers, Harry