[ltp] Linux thinkpad - the Missing pieces

Richard Jenniss linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 23:43:25 -0600

!Disclaimer, this email covers my opinions, some data may be lacking, I don't care to be flamed, it's just my opinion.
!End Disclaimer.

I've been using Linux on main machine for about a year now. Just recently I've adopted GNU/Linux onto my thinkpad.
I build Linux From Scratch. I've got most of the scheme-of-things figured out.

What is Linux lacking on the desktop?
better support for devices such as Camera's, MP3 players, etc.
Ease of use for configuration, and settings. I guess some what to the effect of wizards *shivers* on windows for the new users.
More standards!
Less distributions.
(less distributiosn for less confusion, there is only one windows, and it's easier to support / develop)
I haven't touched the latest 2.5's enough to comment on support.
And, more industry recognition. There should be Linux drivers comming with the new hardware.

A friend has a Sony MD player, that has USB. He wants me to figure it out on Linux.
One of these weekends...

As for the desktop-ishness... I use Gnome2, and I like it. I used KDE 3, and many of it's alpha's. I had konq crash.
Since Apple is using Konqueror for Safari? I don't see why this won't improve significantly in the future.

In a step-back perspective, I talk to a few non-computer folk :) and some of them still haven't heard what GNU or Linux is.
Which is understandable, as many in the mid nineties haven't even heard the name Microsoft.

It's a guess of mine, trying to keep a perspective of both involved and not-involved in the tech industry...
I believe around 2005 you'll see up to 10% Market share on the desktop. I don't care to be flamed, it's just an opinion, and only an opinion. I guessed just as well in 2000 that the nasdaq would drop to around 1500 when it was what twice that? Dumb luck? who knows.

Best of luck on your piece.
Richard Jenniss.