[ltp] Linux thinkpad - the Missing pieces

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 24 Jun 2003 11:02:07 -0400

Here's a few things that are missing for me:

Audio editing software.  I use Cool Edit for all my audio work, and
there's just nothing in Linux that quite carries the same capabilities
as Cool Edit.  Audacity works pretty well, but just doesn't have all the
features I use.

GPS Control and Mapping.  Garmin's own  Mapsource is the only program I
know of that will send maps to my GPS, and it only runs in Windows.  I
also use Delorme Street Atlas, and National Geographic Topo, which are
very nice mapping programs only available with Windows.

Digital camera support is pretty good in Linux, but I still prefer to
use windows tools because they are much faster and easier to use.

And... oh yeah... Jardinains http://www.jardinains.com :)  As well as
other games.  Some co-workers like ot play Warcraft, Half-life, Unreal
Tournament, etc. after work, so I keep windows for those.  I know some
can be made to work in Linux, but just not as well.

I dual boot my laptop for the times I need to do one of those things.

Joel