[ltp] R40 boot from USB stick

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 28 Jun 2003 15:25:55 -0400

On the T40, the memory key shows up as a hard drive.  If you go into the
BIOS, you can rearrange the order of hard drives to put the memory stick
first.  Only problem is that if you reboot without the stick in, and
then put it in later, it's back at the bottom.  There's no way to boot
it with the F12 menu.  You have to go into the BIOS and change it.  If
you're interested in booting Linux off of it, and it's at least 128 MB,
check out my project here:

http://www.ncsu.edu/resnet/runt

If you have a floppy drive, you can boot off of it and run linux off the
memory key.  But you can install lilo on the drive, reboot and change
the boot order to use the USB drive.  It would be nice if they could
patch the BIOS to preserve that order after it's removed.  I don't know
who I'd talk to about that though.

Joel