[ltp] T40 / Pentium M and Linux

Rune Froysa linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
27 Mar 2003 13:00:43 +0100

Steve Barr <steve.barr@pobox.com> writes:

> Rune Froysa wrote:
> > Finally, IBM should be flamed for not allowing us to buy ThinkPads
> > without a pre-installed OS.
>
> Can you imagine the support calls?
> "I'm having a problem with my ThinkPad model mumblemumble."
> "Did you install an OS?"
> "Yes."
> "I'm sorry sir, that's not a supported configuration."

I have no problems with lack of a support-call centre for a laptop
sold without an OS.  One could perhaps argue that IBM should provide a
"PC-doctor" like CD that could be used to check for hardware faults.
Wheter or not this is needed depends on what requirements IBM expects
to be met before allowing a ThinkPad to be submitted for repair.

It is interesting to note that the numerous companies that sells
desktop PCs without OS don't have this call-centre problem.

> >  If my work hadn't paid for it, I would have selected a model
>  > from the only suplyer in this country that sells laptops
>  > whitout a pre-installed OS.
>
> Whatever.  Don't forget a lot of us use Linux because it
> better meets our needs, not because of some "political"
> stance.

I never said anything about using Linux because of political stance.

>  From the MS trial it came out that it was cheaper (or required)
> that a manufacturer ship windows with each PC sold because of
> the contract terms.

To the best of my knowledge, the ruling made it illegal for MS to in
any way punish manufacturers selling machines without OS (what
happened to Dells talk about shipping machines with FreeDos?).

It has been mentioned that it is more expensive to produce two types
of computers.  That is a moot point; either the HD can be selected
during fabrication, replaced when sold, sold without HD in the
machine, or a mechanism could be provided that quickly nuked the
installed system for those who bought a system without OS.

Speaking of law, the current practice is in violation of atleast two
§s in norwegian law (§3-10 & §5, markedsføringsloven), but no-one
seems to care about that (yes, I have complained to the apropriate
authorities, they don't have resources to pursue the case).

> For a time IBM did sell ThinkPads with Linux installed, but
> unlike with servers, I guess not enough people bought them
> for IBM to justify the additional testing, documentation,
> support, etc. expense.  If you want to flame anyone, try
> the Linux community.

Yes, both IBM and Dell have tried to sell machines pre-installed with
Linux.  Problem is, they cost the same as those with MS, and more
importantly: many Linux users prefer to install the OS themselves; as
you know, there are numerous choises.

--
Rune Frøysa