[ltp] Mwavem driver: some observations

M. Leo Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 4 May 2003 12:03:21 -0700 (MST)

Well, finally got around to installing the mwavem driver on my 770z
tp. After a bit of fiddling, it does work.

Observations:

During the build there are quite a number of "warnings." It does build,
though.

I can't hear the modem dialing or the connect sounds.

It takes quite a long time to connect -- 30 seconds or more.

The data transfer speed seems to be a bit faster than with my old 33k
PCMCIA modem.

I remember several years back that the conventional wisdom was that
there would never, ever be any winmodem drivers for Linux. Thanks to
IBM and a very few other enlightened outfits, there now are.

If I may insert a political opinion here . . .
I think we all should support IBM in the pernicious (and evil) lawsuit that
SCO has initiated. Most especially, if anyone can come up with some concrete
evidence that MS is supporting SCO behind the scenes, as I suspect is the case
. . .