[ltp] Thinkpad model differences

Tom Hoover linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 17:40:41 -0500

Many great responses here...thanks, guys!

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 11:12:28AM -0400, Bret Comstock Waldow wrote:
> Like I mentioned previously, my T21 fits almost all your criteria - I
> imagine any later T series model might too - the T's are intended to
> balance Transportability (thin and light) with functionality (14.1"
> screen).

Am I correct in the the main difference between a T20 and a T21 is the
processor speed? (700 vs 800)  It looks as if I can pick up a good used T20
for ~$500, whereas a T21 runs $600-650.  I'm thinking of going with the
T20 for the price difference.

> In light of other comments, I thought to add - my approach is I bought
> two main batteries.  As cheap or cheaper than the Ultrabay battery,
> allows me to use the CD/DVD/whatever as well.
>
> When the first runs out, I hibernate (think of it as Intermission -
> we're supposed to stretch our legs on long flights), exchange batteries,
> and continue...

I could use the money saved to buy a spare battery, and use your
suggestion for the extra running time.  BTW- I'm assuming that
hibernation works fine under Linux?

Can anyone think of a reason why I'd be sorry to get a T20, instead of a
T21?  From the descriptions that I've found, either (as long as I buy a
2nd battery) seems to meet my original criteria (DVD and USB).

Thanks!