[ltp] Contacting IBM with design feedback

Ben Pfaff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
24 May 2003 11:32:03 -0700

Bjorn Knutsson <bjorn@docs.uu.se> writes:

> On 24 May 2003 10:46, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> > Bjorn Knutsson <bjorn@docs.uu.se> writes:
> >
> > > Ah, but the touchpad is *evil*. It's been one of the things I've
> > > always loved about Thinkpads - no touchpad! (And three mousebuttons.)
> > >
> > > One of my first laptops (non-IBM) had a touchpad, and I always hated
> > > it with a passion. When typing, I'd always accidently hit it, and
> > > suddenly I'd have marked something, moved the cursor or worse.
> > >
> > > I'm hoping that IBM will see the light and get rid of the things.
> >
> > You can disable the touchpad in the BIOS (or by configuring gpm).
> > Then touching it doesn't do anything.
>
> Can gpm be configured to disable the touchpad, but not the trackpoint,
> and will this work under X as well?

I don't have my T30 right here, which is the only machine here
with the particular version of gpm needed, but gpm is *very*
configurable for the T30's pointing devices.  I'm pretty sure you
can turn off the touchpad.

You can use it under X the same as under the console as long as
you use gpm's repeater mode.

But I actually like the touchpad.  I don't use it for moving the
mouse cursor, but I love one feature: if you move your finger up
and down on the far right side of the pad, it works just like a
scroller wheel on a real mouse.  That's the big thing I miss on
most touchpads and pointing sticks.

I could probably configure gpm to turn off the touchpad except
for that feature.  I haven't tried.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft