[ltp] Re: [ltp] Re: [ltp] Kernel panicking a bit too often on a TP 600E + other symptoms

Jakub Hegenbart linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:58:25 +0100 (CET)

> > Jakub,
> > just a wild guess... but it sounds like a thermal problem... can you
> > verify if the CPU fan is running? High X usage would produce more heat
> > than being in a console - thus longer working time in a console before
> > failure.
> The bottom of the machine gets a bit hot, indeed, and the NB case fan is a > bit lazy compared to the only other IBM TP 600E I had the chance to work
> with. But this other machine also got quite hot with no problems and my
> machine is capable of crashing few minutes after booting without excessive
> CPU activity. I guess the heat could be accessary, if there's a bad RAM,
> the problem would surely worsen with higher temperature.
> > I guess you'd be able to confirm hardware problems if it isn't working
> > right under W2K either :-(
> I performed 2 W2k install tries and both failed due to an STOP ERROR (one
> of them was IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL, the other one was different, I can't
> remember now). The machine was cold before switching it on. Maybe the long > disk formatting (in W2k, alas, no quick format)...since I've still managet > to get past formatting, I'll try to skip that and I'll see.
> > Maybe you could download the Maintenance Manual from www.pc.ibm.com to
> > figure out how to open the ThinkPad and maybe check the fan that way.
> >
> > Frank
> I've obtained 3 pdf manuals (Maintenace, User Guide, Tech Specs) even
> before I've ordered the machine, the same goes for TP600E&Linux
> compatibility...I like playing things safe :)
> I'll try some experiments (except of the memtest86, which fails booting as > i already wrote) and if they fail, I'll get the machine repaired. Whether
> it is memory problem, dysfunctional fan/fans + overheating or both, the
> warranty does cover it (except of HDD, which is completely OK, all moving
> parts - fans - should be new).

OK, I skipped the formatting since it competed. After first reboot, during device detection - bang, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA. I guess I'll try to diagnose the fan somehow.
Zaregistrujte se do 19.listopadu na http://ad2.seznam.cz/redir.cgi?instance=65721%26url=http://www.nokiagame.cz