[ltp] Switching Between Networks

Hartmut Meyer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:13:13 +0100

Hi,

Am Dienstag, 25. November 2003 06:19 schrieb Rob Smith:
> I would like to be able to use my 600E both at home, on my DSL, and also at
> work, on a corporate LAN. At home, I've got a static IP, using my DSL
> Router's IP as the default Gateway, and my ISP's DNS server's IP addresses.
> At work, I am running DHCP. I also require use of an internet proxy server.
>
> I've seen two different applications to help automate this process. One is
> called NetSwitch and the other being Quickswitch. I am wondering if anyone
> out there has experience with either or both of these apps, and could
> advise me of your impressions. Also, if anyone has other ideas for
> automating this process (I would imagine that I'll still have to reset the
> proxy in Mozilla either way) that would be appreciated.
>
> BTW, I'm running SuSe 9.0 on a 600E (2645-4BU).

Have a look at scpm - it's part of SUSE LINUX and if you did a standard
install, it's already there. There's also a YaST2 frontend for it called
"profile manager". And it's described in the green Administration Guide.

scpm is really powerful and still easy enough to use - in particular if you
use it via the YaST2 profilemanager module. It not only takes care of network
settings but of virtually everything apart from user specific settings
(though that could probably be scripted).

I'm using it on a daily basis to swap between home, work and travel setup.

Greetings from Breen
hartmut