[ltp] 5400 RPM hard drives?

Charles E Taylor IV linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 09:12:38 -0500

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:38:30 -0500
Ari Pollak <ajp@aripollak.com> wrote:

> This isn't totally Linux-related, so I apologize in advance.
> I'm considering a larger hard drive for my Thinkpad T41 (I currently
> have a 30 GB 4200 RPM), possibly an 80 GB 5400 RPM.

> have any of you replaced a 4200 RPM drive with a 5400 RPM
> drive? Did battery life suffer? Was the drive any louder?

I've done the replacement in a Thinkpad 240 and a Thinkpad 570E (older
models, but hey - why toss good hardware?)

Performance gains were impressive - especially if you use applications
like Open Office (I do).  The new 5400 RPM drive was much *quieter*,
overall than the old, slower drive.  Battery life might have gone down
slightly (the 240 never had fabulous battery life to begin with), but as I
usually use the laptops on AC, it wasn't much of an issue for me.

I used Hitachi Travelstar 40G drives in both machines.  (upgrading from
8GB and 10GB drives).

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek@mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!
*  Web: http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/