[ltp] More on Problems Printing from Netscape

James McKenzie linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:56:13 -0700

First:

It appears that no one here has experienced the problems I'm having or
I'm being ignored.  There has been no feedback on this problem, so I
decided to continue troubleshooting.

Second:

The use of Mozilla is NOT an option in my case.  I visit several Windows
centric sites and the webmasters have been from neutral to "Use Windows,
we will never support Linux, there is no audience for this OS" to
downright hostile "Windows is the way to go and Linux is basically SHIT
(sorry folks, but is a direct quote from one of the sites that I asked
for Mozilla/Netscape support for Linux.)

Third:

I've figured out the problem is the lpr command used by Netscape which is:

lpr ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

I've modified just about every location for this command to:

lpr '-P '${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

However, when I restart Netscape, the lpr command changes back to the
version that does not work.

If I set the postscript/default printer to lpr -P <printer_name>
everything prints ok.  I know that permentantly fixing the lpr command
will fix the problem.

It appears that I'm missing a location to reset the lpr commands.  Any
ideas?

Thanks.

BTW, the problem was NOT cups related, but I found the above fix on the
CUPS site.

James McKenzie