[ltp] fn key

Thomas de Grenier de Latour linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 16:55:25 +0100

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003 22:09:18 -0400 (EDT)
linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org (mukesh agrawal) wrote:

> So I've done both that, and the xmodmap command, but the Fn key still
> doesn't work as a modifier. xev shows that the server is emitting the
> Control_L keysym, but not emitting anything for the key that I press
> while holding down Fn.
>
> E.g. if I hit Control-c, then I get four events:
> 	1. KeyPress Control_L
> 	2. KeyPress c
> 	3. KeyRelease c
> 	4. KeyRelease Control_L
>
> But if I hit Fn-c (having run the xmodmap command, and setkeycodes), I
> only get two events (1 & 4 from the list above).
>
> Is there a workaround for this? (FWIW, this is a T40 with 2.4.21-ac2
> and XFree 4.3.)

Same problem here. I'm about to come to the conclusion that on T40, ibm
has decided to lock the whole keyboard when "Fn" is pressed. Anyone to
show me I'm wrong? I would really love to be able to use this key as
a modifier, it is at such a perfect place for that...

thanks,

--
TGL.