[ltp] Installing USB flash drive

Bert Haskins linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 06 Apr 2004 00:36:19 -0400

Mendel Cooper wrote:

>There has been a thread her about booting from a USB flash drive. Well,
>how about beginning at a simpler level? How about just plain installing
>one of these thingies?
>
>I haven't bought a flash drive yet. They should work with Linux, from
>everything I've read and heard. But . . .
>
>Is there anything that needs to be done to get Linux to recognize
>the hardware? Any changes to the config scripts, such as
>/etc/modules.conf? Any installation scripts needed?
>
>I'm using a TP 770Z, running kernel 2.4.20 (yeah, I'm a behind the
>leading edge). This model machine has a USB 1.1 port, which means that
>USB 2 peripherals should work, but more slowly.
>
>Thanks.

I have used the Kingstone USB flash drive on my 770Z under Mandrake 9.2
and it's a total no-brainer.

Bad, bad, nasty Kingstone for not mentioning Linux on the box!!!!!!

If the fd is plugged in before powerup, it's right there on the desktop
mounted and ready to go.

I have also used it under FC1 and the other FC versions which  you are
NOT supposed
to mention on this list but I will anyway, 1.9 is Great!!.
.
On FC I did a mkdir  "flash" under /mnt
and then did a "mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash"
This is how I remember it, that laptop and the fd are not available
right now....
the sda1 may not be correct but as you can see, it's really easy to use.
I'm certain that at least half of the folks on this list can come up with
a more "!!!!! flashy !!!!!" way to use it than I just mentioned.

I don't think that you would be able to boot up with it using a 770
but I would be very happy to have someone prove me wrong on this.

.... Bert