[ltp] Fn-Keys R40

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 23 Apr 2004 16:30:31 -0400

On Friday 23 April 2004 16:17, after a long battle with technology, Pete
Wright wrote:
> Function F12 is suspend to disk, and that just aint gonna work I'm
> afraid. There have been some reports of people having mixed success
> with a software utility called swsusp, but it's really hit and miss
> it seems. Getting that app to run in response to pressing a weird
> (for Linux) key combination its going to be very tough indeed.

If you're running X, and you need to execute an arbitrary program in
response to a user-defined key combination, look at xbindkeys and/or
gtk-xbindkeys.  Works great; I've bound Shift-F7 on my Thinkpad to
"xvidtune -next", which is much more convenient for switching display
resolutions than Ctrl-Alt-+ on a laptop keyboard.  Go to
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search , group
comp.os.linux.* , keywords "xbindkeys howto" for instructions on
getting it working.

I'd think that swsusp requires root privileges to do its thing, though,
so you may have to make it SUID root or make a SUID root wrapper for it
or use sudo or something.

--
   People don't tend to get paid.
   --MegaHAL, trained on Netizen's quotes file