[ltp] kernel semi-newbie question

Eric C. Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 9 Dec 2004 09:07:03 -0500

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 01:12:08PM +0100, Bob Alexander wrote:
> I am really getting CRAZY !!! Please help me.
>
> I am doing EXACTLY the steps I have written down in my personal wiki page:
>
> http://chefacciamo.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Debian/Kernel
>
> which in summary is downloading and expanding a pristine 2.6.9 source
> from kernels.org (checked with .sign), downloading the 2.6.10-rc2 patch
> (need this to later apply the mm4 patch) and pathing the 2.6.9 with the
> latter.
>
> The patching goes on for a longish time and then I get the following
> error which I absolutely do not understand and am not able to bypass.
>
> Thank you for any help.

After looking at your your wiki page, I think you're using the kernel
source rather than the patch file as input to the patch command.

The --dry-run option to patch is helpful to make sure things go right.

Note that you can rename the source directory after patching; it
doesn't have to match what's in the patch file (that's what the -p1
option is for).  And you can simpley rename the directory using "mv",
rather than "cp -rl":

% mv linux-2.6.9 linux-2.6.10-rc2  # or whatever

Hope this helps.

--
Eric C. Cooper          e c c @ c m u . e d u