[ltp] Slackware on T42?

Josh Battles linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 08:38:08 -0600 (CST)

morpheus said:

> I would suggest that you run the "Make System Recovery Disks" utility in
> Windows to create a set of CD-ROMs that contain everything that's on the
> recovery partition...then you can delete the recovery partition and get
> 5GB more disk space.  If you're running two OSs, you'll need the space.
> Partition Magic can delete the recovery partition and also resize the
> NTFS partition, and you should be able to put Linux on the rest.
> It you must share data files between the two, you can create a FAT32
> partition (the only filesystem I know of that both Win and Linux can
> reliably read/write) but keep in mind that FAT32 is not so reliable so I
> suggest you run fsck (or Windows diskcheck) weekly.

I'll have to check that out.  It'd sure be nice to get an extra 5GB out of my
disk.  I'm not really looking to share data, most of the apps that I run
don't have a Linux counterpart.

> Any reason for not using LILO or GRUB?  Both install automatically and
> detect your WinXP partition, so there's really no drama involved.
> You _can_ set up the WinXP boot loader (if I recall, you right-click My
> Computer, go to Properties->Advanced->Startup and Recovery->Settings-
>>System Startup->Edit

Mostly just to try something new.  Based on the responses here, I'll probably
end up just using LILO anyway.  I use it on my other PCs and like the boot
password option that it provides.

Thanks for the information.

- Josh