[ltp] Slackware on T42?

morpheus linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:30:32 -0500

> How many text editors do we need? MP3 players? Speaking of sound, how
> many "sound system" standards do we need?  Why are they always brand
> new seperate development efforts, rather than extending existing
> applications?  Isn't part of the reason to have open source so one can
> take an existing program and expound upon it?
I feel your pain...but remember Open Source is all about choice and
freedom.  If you don't like a text editor you're using, there are a
hundred to choose from, and if you really feel strongly about it you can
make your own.  This is not possible on Windows without spending money
for lots of software that turns out to be crap, then spending lots more
money for development tools if you want to make your own apps.
So, as is usually the case in life, the flip side of freedom is
overwhelming diversity, but I prefer it to being spoon-fed a few crappy
apps and being forced to pay through the nose for them and never really
know what's inside the code that could be looking through all my data...