[ltp] Slackware on T42?

joshua timberman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:32:58 -0700

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 04:30:32 -0500, morpheus <morpheus@post.harvard.edu> wrote:
> I feel your pain...but remember Open Source is all about choice and
> freedom.  If you don't like a text editor you're using, there are a
> hundred to choose from

This is exactly the problem.  Too many choices are overwhelming to
most end users and pushes GNU/Linux even further from being ready for
prime time.

> and if you really feel strongly about it you can
> make your own.

As I've stated a few times now, I don't have time.  Nor would I if I
did, since there's already too many choices available.

Too much duplicate effort in the open source world.  Seriously. Some
people like choice.  Most people shouldn't be given the option simply
because they don't know better.  The problem in the Windows world is
that the default choices are inherently insecure and/or expensive.

> for lots of software that turns out to be crap, then spending lots more
> money for development tools if you want to make your own apps.

Several free open source tools and libraries are available for writing
software on Windows.

> [never really] know what's inside the code that could be looking through all my data...

Many people who use Linux, particularly those whom zealots are trying
to convert[1], will never even care that such an option exists, let
alone feel inclined to go look at the source code themselves. It's
great for geeks and techies, but for the average user that more
distributions are trying to earn business from, it's just not there
yet, for the reasons I've mentioned above.

[1] Zealots being those geeks who are trying to get their parents,
grandparents and other very NOT technical people to use Linux.

--
prepare for down count.. 5.. 4.. 3.. 1.. off blast!