[ltp] Q further: sound recording, A21m, Caldera 2.4

Robert Hueckstedt linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 20 Jan 2004 21:42:53 +0100

Thanks to all for telling this newbie that in order to record I needed to turn the microphone on (:-).

Unfortunately, no matter what I do, I seem not to be able to do that. Something is not communicating with something.

What I have done so far is this:

I used KMix (in KDE) and GMix (in Gnome) to set, one by one, all the possible recording sources on this machine. Those recording devices are Volume, Line, Microphone (which I assume is the built-in one), CD, Line 1, Line 2, Phone In, and Video. One by one, with KMix (GMix) still "on", I then try the microphone I have plugged into the microphone jack. With Krecord, or Gnome's Sound Recorder, I then "record" a brief statement and try to play it back. No sound. I then checked the Krecord capability to play a wave file, and that worked fine. So, it can do that. I just can't seem to get it to record.

The only difference I noticed between Gnome's Sound Recorder and KDE's Krecord is that the former uses sox. I don't know what the other uses in sox's place, and I don't know what "sox" are anyway. And in any event, sound remained unrecorded no matter which GUI or recording app I tried.

I suspect there is an easy answer to this. Something else that needs to be "turned on"?

The KDE on this machine is 1.1.2. KMix is 1.0.1. Krecord is 1.5.

Grateful for any help.
Bob Hueckstedt