[ltp] Help: serial port on thinkpad ultrabay

nut megger linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 05:34:04 -0700 (PDT)

Continued Problem: Cannot detect the serial modem
located on serial port on the Ultrabay, so I am unable
to connect to my ISP through the external modem.

I have the latest BIOS update installed and the serial
port is ENABLED.

** How do I get Linux to see the serial port on the
Ultrabay? **

I have tried the following:

(1) Linux distributions: Mandrake 10, SuSe 9.1.,
Fedora Core 2, Redhat 9.1, Debian.

(2) I have loaded Windows ME and been able to use the
serial port (COM1) with no stress or strain.

(3) PC Doctor indicates that there is a serial port.

(4) Can’t tell upon boot whether Linux reports on the
serial interface.

(5) Minicom and Kermit fail to recognize the serial
port.

(6) Can there be an IRQ or I/O port conflict?  Who
knows, I’m only a newbie.

(7) I have added Linux to my Dell notebook (Mandrake
10) and my Sun workstation (Aurora) – no stress, no
strain – and been able to use gnome and kde to dial
out the serial ports to an external modem.  I prefer
using gnome and kde to dial out since the minicom and
Kermit commands defeat the purpose of having a windows
manager.

There must be some expert out there that can take me
step by step through getting my X21 to utilize the
serial port on the Ultrabay – otherwise, the X21 is
just a paperweight.