[ltp] SuSe 9.1 Personal edition on ThinkPad X1: Howto install new rpm using YaST?

Tim Prince linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 06:47:30 -0700

At 06:40 AM 7/16/2004, nut megger wrote:

>Thank you for your input.  However, in my original
>message I mentioned (and you overlooked) two critical
>items:
>
>(1) I have a VERY, VERY slow dial-up modem connection
>at home and so any network installation is
>unreasonable. (I know, I should get something faster,
>but for this inquiry let's assume that network
>installation is not available).
>
>(2) I do not want to use the command line but do want
>to use YaST. (Why have a powerful tool like YaST if
>one has to go to the command line? I know, YaST cannot
>handle everything)
>
>Are you saying the YaST cannot handle installation of
>rpms that have been burned onto a CD?

No, he was only pointing out that YaST wants the original installation CD's
available when you install a .rpm through it.  If you use rpm directly to
install, you won't need the CD's, and YaST still records what is done by
.rpm.

Tim Prince