[ltp] Fan noise fix

Charles Gillet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 17:11:55 -0700

I'm starting to wonder whether some folks' temperature readings are
completely accurate.  I just saw someone post a temp of 73C.  I would
imagine components getting faulty and loose with such dramatic
temperature swings.  Granted that mobile processors are different, the
last time I built a desktop, I remember having problems with crappy
heatsinks, and the CPU temp alarms barking at around 60C.

Regarding not being able to compile ... with cpuspeed+ACPI you could.
It would take your CPU down to 600 until it cools off then speed it up
again and back down again ... etc, but you'd get your kernel.  I just
checked the cpudyn page, and it looks like it doesn't care about apm or
acpi, only cpufreq support, can handle spinning down disks, but has no
way to monitor temp to keep your laptop from overheating.

-charles