[ltp] TP770Z Sound (FC2): Update

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 11:11:20 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Russell Williamson wrote:

> > On Fri, 4 Jun 2004, Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> >
> > Well, aumix also has a store command, and all that does is save to the
> > ~/.aumixrc file, which is not loaded at next boot. I'll try alsamixer and see.
>

> Run alsamixer once to get the volume you want.
> Run 'alsactl store' to save those settings in /etc/asound.state.
> Add this line to your /etc/modules.conf or /etc/modprobe.conf:
>
> post-install snd-XXXXX /usr/bin/alsactl restore
>
> where XXXXX is your hardware-specific name. Then every time the
> module is loaded, the settings will automatically be restored
> to your preferences.

This doesn't quite work. The /etc/modules.conf file has been deprecated
and /etc/modprobe.conf seems to understand a different command set. Putting
the above "post-install" line in the latter generates an error.

What does work, even if it is somewhat of a kludge, is the following.

1) Set sound volume levels with *both* 'alsamixer' and 'aumix'

2) Run 'alsactl store' as indicated above.

3) Put 'alsactl restore' in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.

Yep, good old /etc/rc.d/rc.local. It fixes up what you can't get the
other init scripts to do. . . .