[ltp] re-setting boot media

Cheryl Homiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 09:10:48 -0500 (CDT)

I'm sorry this is not strictly a linux question, but I'm not subscribed to
any non-linux lists that might be able to help me with this, so please
bear with me. Linux is the OS I am using with my thinkpad T23 but I don't
know if there might be any in-linux solution to this, if there's a
solution at all.
I am blind and therefore can not read and change my bios by myself; screen
readers don't start until an OS starts. I had the default settings for
which media the thinkpad t23 used to boot, so I think it was booting from
floppy if available, then hard disk. I had found out that I could hit f12
and arrow down twice, however, to temporarily boot from cdrom. recently a
sighted person supposedly reset my bios so I could boot from cdrom. I
don't know what he actually did but now I can't boot from cdrom no matter
what I do; when I reboot or startup with a bootable cdrom (it's the port
that can hold either a cdrom or a floppy or I think a dvd/cdrecorder
combination) I get sent to lilo, and using f12 at boot, no matter how many
times I arrow up or down, doesn't result in a cdrom boot either. what I
want to know is whether there's any way to change this back without
getting into the bios. the only reason I'm hopeful there might be such a
solution is that there was a .bat file i was able to use to turn my serial
port on instead of infrared. Unfortunately I don't have dos or dosemu on
my laptop right now even if there is a bat file, but I do have it on my
laptop so I might be able to ssh in and do it somehow if there was such a
solution. Guess I'm grasping at straws, but I'm really ticked that I won't
be able to boot from cdrom on this laptop until I get somebody back in
here to undo the damage.
If anybody knows of any possible solutions to this, I'd be very
appreciative.
Thanks.

--
Cheryl