[ltp] Thinkpad 760XL - Linux Install Information

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 15:03:34 -0500

fbdev is the framebuffer device driver.

The only reason it needs to be compiled into the kernel is in order to use it
for your boot console. Because the boot console device is one of the first
things initialized it cannot be loaded as a module at boot time, its simply
too early in the process.

However for use with X I really don't know why you would HAVE to compile in
fbdev, since you can simply use the normal default text mode console and X
could care less what mode its being started FROM, just as if you had say an
ATI card and run X with the radeon driver, it could care less that you
started from text mode etc, its going to take total control of the video
hardware anyhow...

I suppose there could be some sort of limitation involving the device driver,
but X itself is not going to require you to have the fbdev compiled into the
kernel.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain