[ltp] T23 keyboard locks up occasionally

Julian Underwood linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 01:49:52 -0500

I'm running Fedora Core 1 on an IBM T23.  Every once in a blue moon the
keyboard and track-point will cease working.  The machine will not
freeze, because applications will continue to run.  At this point I can
plug in a USB mouse to shutdown properly.  It seems to happen when I
either load up graphics or a movie.  I know that the keyboard is
completely dead because the caps lock light will not illuminate if I
press 'caps' and if I try any of the Function keys (i.e. suspend,
keyboard light, or external video) they don't work either.  This maybe
happens one out of 40 uses of the laptop.  I replaced the motherboard on
this laptop a while back (for an unrelated issue) and this keyboard
problem still occurs.  I don't think the keyboard is bad because it
usually works fine!  Also the unit will hang on boot if I have some
select USB devices plugged in.  Any of these things happen to anyone?

JU