[ltp] Recovery experience (was: Re: Captive Linux GPL NTFS Driver)

Szakacsits Szabolcs linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 18 Mar 2004 11:47:07 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Greg K wrote:
> At 07:40 AM 3/17/2004, you wrote
> >On Sat, 6 Mar 2004, Tod Harter wrote:
> >I tried the same with Linux open source tools from ntfsprogs by running
> >off a DVD (basically ntfsclone the minimal image then ntfsresize to adjust
> >to the underlaying partition size). The recovery took 23 minutes
> >unattended. Just put the DVD in then start the recovery process and do
> >whatever you want until it's ready.
>
> That sounds quite interesting, but how did you get a minimal XP image?

See ntfsclone: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/man/ntfslcone.html

But you can also shrink (compact) NTFS to its minimal size by the latest
ntfsresize to the start of the partition then just dd (and optinally
compress on-the-fly) that space in use. In this case, of course after the
recovery you need to enlarge NTFS to the underlaying partition size (e.g.
run ntfsresize device).

	Szaka