[ltp] Anyone successfully booted from a USB key (T41)

Rob Browning linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 28 Mar 2004 15:06:36 -0600

I was just trying to create a bootable usb key for my t41, and so far
I haven't had any luck.  The BIOS can see it, and I can get it to run
the key's MBR (when I trying a partitioned arrangement), but that's as
far as it goes.

I've tried syslinux and the freedos image, and I've tried it with the
key both partitioned (/dev/sda1) and unpartitioned (/dev/sda).  It's
gotten far enough to print "FreeDOS" when trying freedos, and far
enough to print "Boot failed" when trying syslinux.

The key in question is a lexar sport 256MB, and I believe it's a USB
2.0 key.  I'm not sure the latter is relevant, but I heard at least
one suggestion that some BIOSes might have trouble booting from a 2.0
key.

Thanks
--
Rob Browning