[ltp] Syncing various data with a desktop (configs, bookmarks and such)

Joachim Schrod linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 31 Mar 2004 16:13:08 +0200

RB> Michael Hagemann <michael.hagemann@unibas.ch> writes:
>> One project I know is Unison:
>>
>> http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>>
>> Never tried it myself, though...

RB> I noticed that a while ago too. It seems pretty interesting. Note
RB> though, that it doesn't handle hard links, and I have also seen at
RB> least one post claiming that it might not handle very large files.
RB> As yet, I haven't been able to confirm or deny that.

We use it to daily sync our software archive (a directory tree with 20
GB, files up to 100 MB) over a 128KB/s line; transfer protocol is ssh.

You're right that it doesn't handle hard links. Symlinks are handled,
though.

There are some issues in running unison unintended, but this isn't the
case in your situation. For interactive usage, there is a very nice
gtk-based GUI interface.

Cheers,
	Joachim

--
Joachim		     The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the