[ltp] T41p, 2.6.6-rc3. Weird errors mixing eth0 and usb mouse (?!)

François Fleuret linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 10 May 2004 10:41:54 +0200

Hi People,

Cameron McCormack wrote on 10 May 2004 00:20:56 MET:

> I see you're using the vesa driver for X instead of ati or fglrx.
> Is this the only way you could get ACPI and suspending working
> properly ?

As far as I understand, with the XFree86 version I am using (4.3.0.1),
the ati driver as to be loaded as a module in the "Module"
section. Then, one can use the "radeon" driver in the "Device"
section, but since the FireGL 2 is not recognized by this version, the
chip id has to be forced with with "ChipID 0x4E47".

If I do all that, the server can not anymore figure out by itself that
1400x1050 is usable (the strangeness of softwares...). If I start to
play with the ModeLine in the Monitor section, all this degenerates
into some pretty annoying fight with between me and the machine,
reminding me a slackware I used to play with in 1994.

Now you know why I use the vesa driver :)

Note that any information to fix all that mess and allow me to use the
radeon driver with XFree 4.3.0.1 are welcome.

Cheers,

--
François Fleuret                              EPFL - CVLAB/LCN