[ltp] Re: Backing up the Predesktop Area?

Georg Sauthoff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 20 May 2004 22:01:00 +0200

--Boundary-02=_C6QrAJBAbMc+vpF

On Thursday 20 May 2004 19:00, Wolfgang Rether wrote:
> Hi,

Hi,

> I just disabled the "hide" option of the Predesktop Area in the BIOS
> of my T41p. Now i wonder if it's possible to backup (or at least read)
> the formerly hidden partition?

Yes, it is possible with 'dd'. But note, the HPA (Hidden Protected Area) is=
=20
not a hidden partion.

The HPA begins right after the last sector available, if the Protection is=
=20
enabled in the BIOS. To get more information how the HPA is organized you c=
an=20
google for a draft of the standard.

So you have to use '/dev/hda' as 'if' and the 'skip' option.

Regards
Georg Sauthoff