[ltp] ibm-acpi how to

Sat, 06 Nov 2004 17:22:52 +0100

Hi,

> I am currently using powersaved daemon in Suse 9.1 professional to do
> power management for T42p - my problem with it is that the daemon
> crashes after every suspend, resume cycle.

googling seems to indicate that this is a problem of powersaved.

>  Do we know if T42p works well with ibm-acpi?

Yepp, we do...look here http://ibm-acpi.sourceforge.net/ .

Remember: ibm-acpi doesn't do very much more than triggering events that
can be dealt with by acpid (and powersaved?). acpid just gets the event
and executes an according script in which the final suspend is initiated
by a echo -n mem > /sys/power/state or something the like of. The actual
suspending is done by the kernel.

I don't know powersaved and how to configure it to act on the events
delivered by ibm-acpi.

> 1. speedstep for cpu frequency depending on the load while on batteries.

With 2.6.9 this is directly supported by the kernel through the ondemand
governor.

> 2. Control FAN depending on whether on batteries or not.

Fan is controlled by the bios depending on processor and graphics chip
speed. Use the ondemand governor together with the DynamicClocks option
in xorg.

> Also, does ibm-acpi work with 2.6.9?

Yepp.

André.