[ltp] Re: Thinkpads can not boot from flash drive?

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:37:10 -0500

> I dunno.  I have a noname usb stick (16 MB jenco or some such, got it
> free at a trade show).  It took me a while to get my x24 to boot off
> of it.  as I recall the x24 would always reset the boot order when you
> rebooted it so had to reset it to boot off usb in the bios before
> trying it.  As I recall teh f12 menu was problematic.  try setting the
> first boot device in the bios to usb. Also the bios refused to see the
> stick at times depending on how I had written the image to it.  I wish
> I could remember the the exact combo that I needed to get it to work.

That sounds just like how the T40 operated before they updated the BIOS.
  You had to have the drive plugged in before the BIOS would list it,
and you had to select it under hard drives to be listed before the
primary hard drive.  Sounds like this is probably Martin's issue if Alex
has an X24 that can boot.  So Alex, just go into the BIOS after you have
the drive plugged in, go into the boot order section, select the hard
drives portion, and make sure the pen drive gets listed before the hard
drive.  As soon as you boot without the pen drive attached, it will be
lost, and you'll have to go reorder it next time you want to boot USB.
This was very frustrating for me when I was developing RUNT.  I was so
happy when they released a BIOS that preserved the boot order.

Joel