[ltp] swsusp2 / FC3 / Thinkpad T23

Christopher Hubbell linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Nov 2004 08:24:57 -0500

> This might sound irrational, but try this.  Check first that the
> following displays your resume2 setting correctly:
>
> # cat /proc/software_suspend/resume2

Looks good...

> Then, presuming it does, RE-write the same value, e.g.:
>
> # echo "swap:/dev/hda6" > /proc/software_suspend/resume2

Thinking to myself...  Naah, this'll never work...

> Then try to hibernate.   I saw this a few times when I was
> experimenting, although it doesn't seem to be a problem now - unsure
> why.  Possible Fedora bug I guess but easy to incorporate in acpi
> scripts.

Whoa!  It worked!  My T23 executed its first successful hibernation.  And it was very fast!  As you say, it would be easy to put this workaround into a script somewhere, but it begs the question of why re-writing a clearly accurate value fixes things.  I'd be happy to help someone smarter than I if they wanted to troubleshoot, but if there's no interest I'm going to move on.

But...  Coming back up was a problem.  I performed the initrd modifications as in the recipe, but on the reboot I get errors about insmod failing, and mylaptop just boots normally instead of resuming.

I'm going to try compiling the swsusp components into the kernel instead of as modules.  It seems to me that this would eliminate the need for the initrd modification - hopefully I'm correct on this.

Thanks for your help thus far - it's great to be making progress on this!