[ltp] SUMMARY: Keyspan USA-19HS with the T42

Jeff linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 00:07:39 -0600 (MDT)

Jeff wrote:
> I just purchased one from EBay yesterday and will report to the list my
> findings when I receive it.

Hi all,

I received the Keyspan USB to Serial adapter (p/n USA-19HS) today.
When I plugged in the device, a device /dev/ttyUSB0 was set up
automatically which I used in place of /dev/ttyS0 on my T20.

Here's the messages that showed up in /var/log/syslog when I plugged
it in:

---------------------------------
   Oct  1 14:08:39 ferret kernel: usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using address 2
   Oct  1 14:08:39 ferret kernel: usb 2-2: configuration #1 chosen from 2 choices
   Oct  1 14:08:39 ferret usb.agent[14562]: Keeping default configuration with /sys//devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb2/2-2
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Generic
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core v2.0
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan - (without firmware)
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 1 port adapter
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 2 port adapter
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Keyspan 4 port adapter
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: keyspan 2-2:1.0: Keyspan 1 port adapter converter detected
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: usb 2-2: Keyspan 1 port adapter converter now attached to ttyUSB0
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: usbcore: registered new driver keyspan
   Oct  1 14:08:40 ferret kernel: drivers/usb/serial/keyspan.c: v1.1.4:Keyspan USB to Serial Converter Driver
---------------------------------

All the following tests succeeded with flying colors:

Under Linux (Mandrake 10 with kernel 2.6.8.1-10mdk):

  o Used kermit to connect to a US Robotics Courier modem and dialed
    out.

  o Used kermit to connect to the console of a Sun Ultra 2 (I'm
    going to test it with a Cisco 2500 router on Monday -- if you
    don't hear any follow up, assume it worked).

Under Windows 2000 after installing the driver that came with the
unit (the following also worked with VMWare running on the above
Mandrake 10 as the host OS and Serial 1 pointing to /dev/ttyUSB0):

  o Used hyperterminal to connect to a US Robotics Courier modem
    and dialed out.

  o Used Microsoft Streets & Trips to connect to a Garmin GPS V
    using the NMEA protocol.

  o Used Garmin MapSource to connect to a Garmin GPS V using
    the Garmin protocol and transferred maps and waypoints.

I'm sure there's other tests I can perform but these were the
priorities for me.  From what I can tell, this device emulates a
serial port beautifully.  The only downside is it's necessity due
to IBM foolishly bailing on the serial port to begin with!

I'll be more than happy to perform any other tests as long as I
have the software and devices available.

Thank you very much!

-Jeff