[ltp] T42p bluetooth?

Chris McDonough linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 2 Oct 2004 07:35:36 -0500 (CDT)

Hi,

I'm about to purchase a T42p (2379DYU, FireGL T2, 15" UXGA, DVD burner).

I believe this machine ships with the "IBM Integrated Bluetooth III +
modem" communications daughter card.  There are a number of confirmations
on the web of older "IBM Integrated Bluetooth" solutions (I & II) working
under Linux but none that I can find explicitly for ThinkPad T42p or for
"IBM Integrated Bluetooth III".  The Bluez website is no help, either (it
doesn't get that specific about the models).

Has anyone with this laptop confirmed that the integrated Bluetooth does
or doesn't work (where "work" == rfcomm working for communication with a
mobile phone)?

If anyone has one of these systems and can provide other "gotcha" hints
for the more obscure pieces of hardware that populate this TP model, I'd
be appreciative!

As a side note, does anyone have any recommendations for IBM warranty
purchases for this machine in the US?  I'd like to get an next-day onsite
repair warranty  but the warranties that IBM sells for this (Service Pac
3) don't seem to cover the T42p (maybe because it's relatively new)?

Thanks!

- C