[ltp] Re: Weird keyboard problem

Matt Graham linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:40:28 -0400

On Thursday 21 October 2004 12:26, after a long battle with technology,
Eben King wrote:
[problems with NumLock, snipped]
> Shift-numlk (scrlk) works under SuSE 9.1 in the console, but the
> change is not reflected in a running KDE session.  I did not try
> starting KDE _after_ numlk was invoked.

The NumLock key on Thinkpads uses a weird keycode, which confuses X.  Do
this:

xmodmap -e 'keycode 77 = Num_Lock'

...and NumLock will work properly under X and in the console.  If you're
using KDE, put a shell script that executes this command in your
~/.kde/Autostart/ directory.  This question and the answer to it should
go in the FAQ for this mailing list IMHO.  HTH,

--
   I think I'll go hold my head under a bucket of vodka until I feel
   better.