[ltp] Re: Physical screen size of the Thinkpad X31 and powersave mode

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 18:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Eben King <eben1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 2004, Rémi Lambert wrote:
>
> > Hello !
> >
> > Le Vendredi 3 Septembre 2004 14:58, Eric Covener a
> écrit :
> > > I've seen sometimes SUSE fails to obtain the
> screen info info, but it
> > > is present in xdpyinfo.
> > >
> > > xdpyinfo |grep dimensions
> > >
> > > This may be calculated and not really the # that
> you want.... but it
> > > will shut that dialouge up.
> >
> > Yes, but It returns 347x260mm, which is evidently
> incorrect values because my
> > screen is smaller than a A4 page...
>
> The screen size may be set (at least on this
> machine) by editing
> /etc/X11/XF86Config: in Section "Monitor", add the
> line
>
> DisplaySize 390 292
>
> (or whatever the correct horizontal and vertical
> dimensions in mm are).
> Do the values here override those values probed from
> the monitor?  Either

Yes, the values here will override values read from
your Monitor. In my experience, I have found that it
is best to use values for DisplaySize such that the
calculated DPI is 96. I have found that freetype2 etc.
font rendering libraries work best at that. So, if you
resolution is 1024x768; you may want to try the
display size

DisplaySize 271 203

This however will probably not effect the resolution
for external LCD projector as that is another issue (I
think).

Osho