[ltp] THinkpad t23 1.13ghz and mplayer

Dugan Chen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 05 Sep 2004 23:30:30 -0700

>Message: 21
>Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2004 10:03:12 +1200
>From: Nicholas Twist <nikkorsw@yahoo.ie>
>To: linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
>Subject: [ltp] THinkpad t23 1.13ghz and mplayer
>
>Hi there everyone from New Zealand.
>I am using a 1.13ghz Pentium 3 thinkpad with Yoper 2.1 installed. The
>computer has 384mb of ram and plugged into the wall (for full speed). I
>know I should tweak the mplayer settings but I am wondering why I am
>getting choppy DVD playback. It loses sound too. The processor levels
>are right up in the "red zone" too. I am using the VESA graphics driver
>and using an outboard projector.

Did you optimize the performance of your DVD drive? I have the exact same
Thinkpad model, and
on mine the command to do so is:

hdparm -d1 -c1 -X66 /dev/hdc

That turns on 32-bit access, enables DMA, and sets the drive to UDMA mode 2.

Also, have MPlayer use xv to output video. Xv is really fast and doesn't use
much CPU time:

mplayer -vo xv

Finally, try to switch from VESA to an accelerated graphics driver. XFree86
4.3 and any newer X server will have an accelerated "savage" driver that
provides 2D acceleration for this laptop. Out of the box.

Scan and help eliminate destructive viruses from your inbound and outbound
e-mail and attachments.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.