[ltp] New ATI 3.12.0 drivers - seem to be worse than 3.9.0

Osho GG linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 11 Sep 2004 09:46:16 -0700

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:36:57 -0400, Sasha Z <kleptophobiac@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html
>
> I have managed to download and install these drivers; but while the 3D
> acceleration appears to be better, it crashes with a garbled screen
> all the time. Whenever x.org goes into screensaver, or whenever I try
> to switch between console and GUI, and whenever I try to shut down the
> X server altogether - it hoses the system completely. Everything locks
> up. I can't CTRL-ALT-DEL nor do a soft power off. I can't SSH into the
> machine either.
>
> Version 3.9.0 was a little slower on the 3D side of things, I gained
> about 50 fps in glxgears with the 3.12.0 drivers, but the crashing
> makes me very sad.
>
> Does anybody have these working properly?
>
> T41p 2373GEU
> ATI FireGL T2-128

I have T42p with ATI Mobility FireGL T2-128 and I just installed X.org
6.8. With ATI 3.12.0 drivers, if DRI is enabled then doing glxinfo at
the command prompt crashes the X server!

Which version of X.org are you running?

Osho