[ltp] Why use acpi for suspend?

Frederik Wagner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 10:04:24 +0200

Hi Nick,

>I've been reading people using acpi to suspend - why would I want to use
>this if suspend is working when I set the kernel boot parameter acpi=off
>and the battery monitor is working etc?  Obviously there is something
>I'm missing.

The problem using apm (this is what you are doing, when you disable
acpi) is, that you don't have the processor state C3 which saves quite
a lot more of power when the cpu is idle. Keeps my TP running longer
on acpi than on apm (when on battery). And switching from acpi to apm
just to suspend would be counterproductive... :-)
Suspend to disk is anyway possible with swsusp2. Works quite well...

>Thanks, Nick

Bye, Frederik!