[ltp] linux problem, hard drive problem or motherboard problem

Cheryl Homiak linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 26 Sep 2004 12:13:57 -0500 (CDT)

I've recently been getting errors like:
end_request, i/o error dev hda, sector (then a sector number)
This then causes my ext3 journals to abort and I have to either just hold
the button till the computer shuts down or sometimes ctrl-alt-del will
work; can't use "shutdown". When I start up again, everything will be ok
for some time before it happens again; I have my laptop on most of the
time.
Has anybody else experienced this? If so, do you know if this is a linux
problem, a hard drive problem (what I sort of suspect) or a problem with
the motherboard? If it's a hard drive problem, has anybody had to replace
theirs and how expensive is it? I have a thinkpad T23.
Thanks.

--
Cheryl