[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

David A. Desrosiers linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 09:20:17 -0400 (EDT)

> anyway... i don't have a dock so i don't know about that - but i
> have read some reports of functionality in the archives.  ibm-acpi
> also has a dock piece that i suspect will be handy for you...

	I'm not trying ibm-acpi until acpi itself works 100%, and
right now, I've got a sour taste in my mouth because of acpi
temporarily turning the laptop into a $3k piece of glass and plastic.

	If I didn't disassemble it and pull that backup battery, it
would have been going back to IBM for a replacement, and I would have
been out of my work machine for 3 more weeks.

	So what are the steps to get acpi working, _without_ turning
the laptop into a dead machine? Compiling in acpi and running some of
the test script clearly isn't all that is required. There must be some
other preparation and workarounds that I have to script into events to
make sure it doesn't just kill the box.

David A. Desrosiers
desrod@gnu-designs.com
http://gnu-designs.com