[ltp] How to turn your T42p into a brick with ACPI...

Mike Kershaw linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Apr 2005 11:11:43 -0400

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

> 	Am I to assume that nobody has an answer to my original=20
> question? After 8 replies, not a single one had any suggestions as to=20
> how I can get functional acpi + suspend working (I'm not using the ATI=20
> drivers, I don't do games, so I don't need OpenGL), and how to get the=20
> DockII working.=20
>=20
> 	Nobody? Anybody?

If all you did was go into S3 (acpi suspend-to-ram), and it bricked so
badly it wouldn't even POST, I think you'd be well served to avoid ACPI
suspend until you know it works.

ACPI is a strange beast.  Support is far better now than it used to be,
but it still carries some risk (as you've seen) of putting the system in
a mode it doesn't really know how to get out of.  I've had similar
problems with a sony, however I was lucky enough to not need to
completely disassemble it.

I suspect the answer is generally going to be, "huh.  that sucks."

The other posters are right that for successful suspend/resume you'll
need to remove some modules, like USB, HOWEVER, if I read your original
post correctly and it won't even power on, removing modules isn't going
to do you any good at all in any way I can think of.  If it resumes but
then crashes, you've got a module issue (or other issues).

As someone suggested, try looking into software suspend
(swsusp.sourceforge.net).  It's a kernel mod that suspends by writing
the contents of memory to your swap partition and then powers off
normally.  It's slightly slower than S3 ram suspend, but on the upside,
it won't use up your battery, and if you multiboot you can even do weird
things like boot windows for a while and then resume linux right where
you were (provided you don't touch the windows partition in linux, or
linux in windows, of course).

-m

--=20
"Dear Die-ary,
    Today I stuffed some dolls with dead rats I put in a blender.
    I'm beginning to wonder if, maybe, I really am screwed up."
                   -- Johnny C. (JtHM)

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj

--9amGYk9869ThD9tj--