[ltp] [OT] Cleaning Mousebuttons

Michael Z Daryabeygi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 12 Apr 2005 16:07:58 -0400

Michael Z Daryabeygi wrote:

>> Wolf Wiegand wrote:
>>
>>> All I found was how to remove the keyboard from the computer, but
>>> nothing on removing individual keys.
>>

>> Okay, I was brave for you and found out if mouse buttons are removable.
>> I was pretty sure since I already knew that keyboard keys come right off.
>>
>> Just pry up the front.  There is a little hinge in the back that you
>> have to seat first when putting back on.
>> I used my pocket knife.  perhaps a small screw driver if you are
>> concerned about accidentally scratching.
>

> Actually, the lower mouse buttons don't come all the way off.
> This is on my T41.  Above I was referring to the upper mouse buttons and
> they do come off cleanly and easily.
> The lower mouse buttons for the touch pad, which I never use, are
> different and have a weird connector in the outer/upper corners.  I
> can't tell what it is for and was not brave a enough to tug harder.
> But they do lift up enough for cleaning. Man was it dusty in there!
> take care not to loose the contact cover/nipple thingy in the middle of
> each button as it just sits with no restraint once the button is lifted.

friggin great!
At least this will be humorous for the list.
It turns out the middle mouse button does not work the same as the left
and right ones.  As I suspected it is reversed from the L and R in that
the hinge mechanism is in the front.
However for some reason it is a different hinge design.
So I broke it.
It still stays in place and works, but it has a little more play than
before and I will know that it is broken even if no one else will.
It has two plastic rods that stick out to either side of the tapered end
of the button. so I bent one and broke part way through the other in
pulling it out.  If I had removed both the L and R buttons first I might
have seen what I was doing and pulled it out without breaking the rods.

oh well.
In the name of science.